Sunday, December 5, 2010
Jam filled Butter Cookies
3/4 cup Butter (softened)
1/2 cup Sugar
2 Egg Yolks
2 cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2-3/4 cup Fruit Preserves
-Cream softened butter and sugar together. Add egg yolks and vanilla extract. mix well. Add flour slowly until all mixed well.
-Roll dough into 1 inch balls. If dough is too soft, refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes. Place balls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Use your finger or an instrument of similar size to make a well in the center of each cookie. Fill the hole with 1/2 teaspoon of preserves.
-Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
Soft Gingerbread Cookies
*To make and keep cookies soft, Roll out dough on plastic wrap or wax paper while warm, then chill before cutting into shapes.
3/4 cup unsulfered molasses
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter softened
2 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 large egg - beaten lightly
4 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2/3 c crystallized ginger, finely chopped (optional)
1. Combine molasses and sugar in saucepan; heat over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until sugar dissolves and bubbles form around edges.
~ Remove from heat and stir in baking soda
~Add butter, ginger, cinnamon, salt, cloves - stirring until butter is melted.
~ Stir in egg, then flour: mix until no white streaks remain.
2. Roll out on wax paper to 3/8 inch thickness, cover with plastic wrap, place on baking sheet and chill in refriderator for 10 minutes and up to 8 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line cookie sheet with parchment paper and cut dough into shapes.
4. Bake 10 minutes or until firm to touch.
5. Serve warm or transfer to wire rack to cool.
Decorate with melted chocolate (optional)